The Flemish textile coating industry is interested in melt processing technologies to replace some coating processes in certain applications such as the production of carpet backing and technical coatings.
In addition, the sector wants to use these technologies in new applications (composite prepregs). The same desire is expressed by Flemish coating formulators developing flame-retardant hot-melt polymers.
Melt processing has several advantages over conventional wet-chemical processes:
- Solvent/water-free: less emissions / lower energy consumption for drying
- Little or no waste. In addition, the waste created can be reused in the case of thermoplastic polymers.
- The machines take up much less space so that even companies without coating facilities can easily integrate the technology.
- Higher process speed
With this project we want to support the textile coating sector, which is not yet familiar with melt processing.
With this project we want to demonstrate the possibilities of implementing different melt processing technologies (hot melt, extrusion coating, co-extrusion):
- Which technology is most suitable for which application?
- Drop-in: which properties are feasible?
- Added value: additional properties
- Product innovation: new products based on these technologies
- Diversification: which new markets can be opened up as a result?
- Demonstration of the potential of 3 melt processing technologies for a wide range of applications by means of 5 demonstrators so that the companies can build up knowledge directly related to their application. This demonstrates the versatility of the technologies.
- An accelerated introduction of these technologies through the cross-sector approach; i.e. Centexbel-VKC's knowledge of plastics processing for textile coating applications will allow companies to take the step towards new technologies enabling them to market new products.